Willie Bold’s Well, Galashiels, Selkirkshire

Healing Well (destroyed): OS Grid Reference – NT 49384 35696

Archaeology & History

Probable site of the Well

An all-but-forgotten well that was said to be named after a local forester and ranger in the 18th century—called Willie Bold, obviously.  It was located a few steps away from the main hunting lodge in the village, known locally as the Hunter’s Ha’ (also long since gone), from which an ancient pathway ran up to the local Toothill.  The Well was described in Robert Hall’s (1898) definitive history of Galashiels, albeit in the past tense, even in his day:

“Willie Bold’s well was about ten yards distant from the east end of the peel, the road which led to it being about four feet wide and fenced on both sides with a high stone wall.  The well was circular and about three feet deep, but in order to reach the water, it was necessary to go down two steps. Here the village children of a past generation quenched their thirst, lifting the water with a “tinnie,” which was always returned to Willie’s house, where it remained till again required.”

In 1863, the first OS-map of the area highlights a ‘Well’ very close to the position cited by Mr Hall, which we presume msut be the Well in question. .

References:

  1. Hall, Robert, The History of Galashiels, Alexander Walker: Galashiels 1898.

© Paul BennettThe Northern Antiquarian

 

loading map - please wait...

  55.612213, -2.805027 Willie Bold\'s Well