Holy Well (destroyed): OS Grid Reference – NT 4598 4454
Archaeology & History
At the edge of the ruins known as the Bishop’s Palace, up the slope behind the ruined church in Stow, could once be seen the waters of the Bishop’s Well which, wrote Thomas Wilson (1924), fed the palace hereby and was used by the clergy. Apart from a barely discernible circular depression at the edge of the old manse ruins, no trace of this site remains.
- Royal Commission Ancient & Historical Monuments, Scotland, Inventory of Monuments and Constructions in the Counties of Midlothian and West Lothian, HMSO: Edinburgh 1929.
- Wilson, Thomas, The Stow of Wedale, Aberdeen Newspapers 1924.
© Paul Bennett, The Northern Antiquarian