Cross (destroyed): OS Grid Reference – SO 870 299
Archaeology & History
In Charles Pooley’s (1868) definitive account of Gloucestershire county crosses, he informs us that,
“there was formerly a Cross erected in this village, but it has long since disappeared.”
He gives no further information about its history, but we must surmise that it was either associated with the ancient priory on the north side of the village, or in the traditional place at the centre of the the village. The grid-reference cited places the lost cross in the grounds of the priory.
- Pooley, Charles, Notes on the Old Crosses of Gloucestershire, Longmans Green: London 1868.
© Paul Bennett, The Northern Antiquarian