Cross (destroyed): OS Grid Reference – SE 433 390
Archaeology & History
Mentioned only in passing in the Becca and Aberford Enclosure Act of 1825, all remains of this site have gone. It was subsequently referred to by Edmund Bogg (1904) in his journey through Elmet as previously standing where the Roman road veered off to the northeast from the “new road”, as it was then. Bogg’s brief description told that from Nut Hill,
“A little distance south, where the old and new roads part, formerly stood a cross; Highcross Cottage keeps its memory green.”
- Bogg, Edmund, The Old Kingdom of Elmet, James Miles: Leeds 1904.
© Paul Bennett, The Northern Antiquarian