Healing Well (destroyed): OS Grid Reference – SE 1174 3443
Archaeology & History
This ‘Well of the Meadow”, or Ing Well, is one of countless springs in and around the Bradford metropolis that have been destroyed by that thing they call ‘development’. It was one of the main water sources for the villagers of Allerton village in the 19th century and earlier. Highlighted on the 1852 OS-map of the region, a singular footpath once led to the waters and no further. There appear to be no antiquarian or historical references detailing its traditions or medicinal qualities—unless of course, you know different.
The name Ing Wells is one of the most common of all titles given to water supplies in England, meaning having the same meaning and general history just about everywhere it occurs. The place-name itself was given extensive attention in two separate studies by Eilert Ekwall (1962) and Sigurd Karlstrom (1927).
- Ekwall, Eilert, English Place-Names in -Ing, Lund: Uppsala 1962.
- Karlstrom, Sigurd, Old English Compound Place-Names in -Ing, Lund: Uppsala 1927.
© Paul Bennett, The Northern Antiquarian