Stone Circle (destroyed): OS Grid Reference – NJ 638 367
Also Known as:
- Canmore ID 18237
- Hillhead of Bogfouton
- Wether Hill
Archaeology & History
Described by the early 20th century antiquarian and megalithomaniac Fred Coles (1903) as being situated “about 1¼ mile SE from the church at Ythan Wells,” all trace of this stone circle has long gone, and had already disappeared when Coles was surveying the region, telling merely that it had been here “in open fields.” All subsequent explorations looking for remains of the site has proven fruitless.
- Barnatt, John, Stone Circles of Britain – volume 2, British Archaeological Report: Oxford 1989.
- Cole, Fred, “Report on the stone circles of North-Eastern Scotland, chiefly in Auchterless and Forgue,” in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries, Scotland, volume 37, 1903.
© Paul Bennett, The Northern Antiquarian