Standing Stone (destroyed): OS grid reference – NR 6426 4817
Also Known as:
Archaeology & History
The Scottish Royal Commission (1971) reported a very large
“standing stone that stood 185m NNW of Achmore House (that) was removed at the beginning of the 19th century. It was reported that is measured 4.9m in height (16ft), 1.2m in breadth and 0.2m in thickness.”
A prehistoric cairn seemed to have accompanied this monolith—as reported by Thomas Pennant in 1772—but it too has been destroyed. Pennant told us how the monolith was,
“a great rude column, sixteen feet high, four broad and eight inches thick.”
Not bad at all! It was still extant, although leaning to the southwest in the year 1790 (OSA 1791-9); appearing to have been removed about 1800. No trace of it remained when the Ordnance Survey lads looked here in 1869.
- Royal Commission for Ancient & Historical Monuments of Scotland, Argyll – volume 1: Kintyre, HMSO 1971.
© Paul Bennett, The Northern Antiquarian