Cup-and-Ring Stone: OS Grid Reference – NU 029 261
Also known as:
- Deershed Plantation Stone
Archaeology & History
This is a small but impressive stone, presently housed in the Musuem of Antiquities in Newcastle. It was first mentioned by Mr H.L. Honeyman (1934) as being donated to Newcastle’s Society of Antiquaries by a Mr J.M. Strother of Fowberry Moor Farm in 1934. He described the carving as,
“a sculptured ring-marked stone, 1ft 2in by 1ft 2in, bearing a cup with three rings and duct. Found in Island Plantation (camp), Fowberry Moor, Chatton, 22.7.34, by Mr Wake.”
Stan Beckensall (1983:127) described it in passing his early work on Northumberland rock art, then again in his updated edition.
- Beckensall, Stan, Northumberland’s Prehistoric Rock Carvings, Pendulum: Rothbury 1983.
- Beckensall, Stan, Prehistoric Rock Art in Northumberland, Tempus: Stroud 2001.
- Honeyman, Herbert L., ‘The Society’s Meetings: July,’ in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (4th Series), 4:7, October 1934.
© Paul Bennett, The Northern Antiquarian