1. Allan, David, Historical Sketches, Original and Select of Kirriemuir and District, Robert Park: Dundee 1864.
  2. Allen, J. Romilly, “Notice of Prehistoric Remains near Tealing, in Forfarshire” in Journal of British Archaeological Association, volume 37, 1881.
  3. Allen, J. Romilly, “Notes on some Undescribed Stones with Cup Markings in Scotland,” in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries Scotland, volume 16, 1882.
  4. Allen, J. Romilly, Early Christian Monuments of Scotland, 1903.
  5. Anderson, Joseph, Scotland in Pagan Times – volume 1: The Iron Age, David Douglas: Edinburgh 1883.
  6. Angus-Butterworth, L.M., “Ancient Pictish Monuments in Angus and Perthshire,” in Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society, New Series vol.14, 1968.
  7. Barclay, G.J. & Halliday, S.P., “A Rock Carving from Westerton, Angus District,” in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries, Scotland, volume 112, 1982.
  8. Black, David D., The History of Brechin, Alexander Black: Brechin 1839.
  9. Brotchie, A.W. & Herd, J.J., Old Broughty Ferry and Monifieth, N.B. Traction: Keighley 1980.
  10. Colville, A., Dundee Delineated, A. Colville: Dundee 1822.
  11. Coutts, Herbert, Ancient Monuments of Tayside, Dundee Museum 1970.
  12. Cruikshank, F., Navar and Lethnot: The History of a Glen Parish in the North-east of Forfarshire, Black & Johnston: Brechin 1899.
  13. Don, William Gerard, Archaeological Notes on Early Scotland; Relating more Particularly to the Stracathro District of Strathmore in Angus, D.H. Edwards: Brechin 1896.
  14. Dorward, David, The Glens of Angus, Pinkfoot: Balgavies 2001.
  15. Dorward, David, The Sidlaw Hills, Forfar, The Pinkfoot Press, 2004.
  16. Dunwell, Andrew & Ralston, Ian, Archaeology and Early History of Angus, History Press 2008.
  17. Edwards, D.H., Around the Ancient City in Six Circular Tours, Brechin Advertiser 1904.
  18. Fraser, William, History of The Carnegies, Earls of Southesk, and of Their Kindred – volume 1, Edinburgh, Privately Printed, 1867.
  19. Gibson, Colin, Folk-lore of Tayside, Dundee Museum & Art Gallery no date (c.1960)
  20. Guthrie, James C., The Vale of Strathmore – Its Scenes and Legends, William Peterson: Edinburgh 1875.
  21. Hutcheson, Alexander, “Notice of the Discovery of Stone Coffins at Auchterhouse,” in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries, Scotland, volume 39, 1905.
  22. Inglis, W. Mason, Annals of an Angus Parish, John Leng: Dundee 1888.
  23. Jervise, Andrew, The History and Traditions of the Land of the Lindsays in Angus and Mearns, Sutherland and Knox: Edinburgh 1853.
  24. Jervise, Andrew,Notices of the Localities of the Sculptured Stone Monuments at St Vigeans, Inchbrayoch, Pitmuies, and Menmuir, in Angus, and of Fordoun in the Mearns – part IV”, in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Volume 2, 1855-56.
  25. Jervise, Andrew, Memorials of Angus and the Mearns, A. & C. Black: Edinburgh 1861.
  26. Jervise, Andrew, “Notice of Antiquities in the Parish of Airlie, Forfarshire,” in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries, Scotland, volume 5, 1864.
  27. Kenworthy, J., “White Caterthun: Cup-Marked Stone”, in Discovery & Excavation, Scotland, 1980.
  28. Kerr, R. N., “Notice of a Burial Cist found on the Farm of Magdalen’s, Kirkton, on the Estate of Balmuir, near Dundee,” in Proceedings Society Antiquaries, Scotland, vol. 30, 1896.
  29. Kidd, Scott, The Churches of the Parish of Dunnichen, David Winter: Dundee 1995.
  30. Kidd, William. A Series of Excursions by Road and Rail for Twenty Miles around Dundee, W.Kidd: Dundee 1900.
  31. Kidd, William, Dundee Market Crosses and Tolbooths, W. Kidd: Dundee 1901.
  32. Lamb, Alexander C., Dundee: Its Quaint and Historic Buildings, G. Petrie: Dundee 1895.
  33. MacGregor, Alexander, Highland Superstitions, Eneas MacKay: Stirling 1937.
  34. Mack, Alastair L., Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones, Pinkfoot Press 1997.
  35. MacLagan, Christian, The Hill Forts, Stone Circles and other Structural Remains of Ancient Scotland, Edmonston & Douglas: Edinburgh 1875.
  36. MacLaren, A. et alThe Archaeological Sites and Monuments of Central Angus, RCAHMS: Edinburgh 1983.
  37. MacPherson, J.G., Strathmore: Past and Present, S. Cowan: Perth 1885.
  38. Marshall, William, Historic Scenes of Forfarshire, William Oliphant: Edinburgh 1875.
  39. Maxwell, Alexander, The History of Old Dundee, David Douglas: Edinburgh 1884.
  40. Maxwell, Alexander, Old Dundee, David Douglas: Edinburgh 1891.
  41. Morris, Ruth & Frank, Scottish Healing Wells, Alethea: Sandy 1982.
  42. Nicoll, Alexander, The First History of Dundee, D. Winter: Dundee 1923.
  43. Ramsay, William, “Parish of Alyth,” in The New Statistical Account of Scotland, 1845.
  44. Robertson, D.O., Long-Ago Legends of Clova, Edinburgh 1872.
  45. Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, The Archaeological Sites & Monuments of Central Angus, Angus District, Tayside Region, HMSO: Edinburgh 1983.
  46. Royal Commission on the Ancient & Historical Monuments of Scotland, Pictish Symbol Stones: A Gazetteer, Edinburgh 1999.
  47. Sherriff, John, “Prehistoric rock-carving in Angus,” in Tayside & Fife Archaeological Journal, volume 1, 1995.
  48. Sherriff, John R. & MacKnight, O., “Culhawk Hill (Kirriemuir p): Stone Setting,” in Discovery & Excavation Scotland, 1985.
  49. Simpson, James, Archaic Sculpturings of Cups, Circles, etc., Upon Stones and Rocks in Scotland, England and other Countries, Edmonston & Douglas: Edinburgh 1867.
  50. Stuart, John, Sculptured Stones of Scotland – 2 volumes, Spalding Club: Aberdeen & Edinburgh 1856.
  51. Sutherland, Elizabeth, A Guide to Pictish Stones, Birlinn: Edinburgh 1997.
  52. Valentine, E.S., Forfarshire, Cambridge University Press 1912.
  53. Wainwright, F T., The Souterrains of Southern Pictland. RKP: London 1963.
  54. Warden, Alex J., Angus or Forfarshire: The Land and People – Descriptive and Historical – 5 volumes, Charles Alexander: Dundee 1880-1885.
  55. Will, C.P., Place Names of Northeast Angus, privately printed: Edzell 1963.
  56. Wise, Thomas A., History of Paganism in Caledonia, Trubner: London 1884.
  57. Zealand, A., “Fanavon (Oathlaw Parish): Cup-and-Ring Stone,” in Discovery Excavation Scotland, CSA: Edinburgh 1988.